Saturday, January 14, 2012

Christmas

Christmas changes so much as the girls get older.  How quickly time flies.  They are not so little anymore and that magical feeling of Christmas is fleeting.  It was very difficult for me this year as I took down the Christmas Tree.  To see all the ornaments that my girls made when they were little be put away was symbolic in so many ways.  This life is just as fleeting as that magical feeling young children have of Christmas.  With each ornament I put away It was like saying goodbye to my children's childhood.  Each year my parents give the girls an ornament that was from my childhood.  Those were so difficult too---I'm getting old.  I've never really had an issue about aging until that moment of taking the tree down.  It's not really about me aging it's those around me.  My parents--They used to be my age not so very long ago.  My grandparents--Three of which are gone and my Nanny is still here.  Each ornament that said "Love, Nanny" was another tear to the others that I collected that day.  My children, who were so little are now my size.  They will be graduating and going off to school before long. (only 5 1/2 more years) We had our girls when we were young so in turn that means that we will be rather young when they begin their lives as adults.  While there is a positive spin to that, it also has a bit of sadness to it also.  I've come to realize that I was a much better mother to little babies, toddlers and elementary aged children.  The teenager years--while just beginning--are not going to be easy.  Don't get me wrong my girls are wonderful, everyone around me tells me how polite, caring and hard working they are.  All positive things.  But we all now what comes out when no one is watching--except us parents!  :)  I love them more than anything.  They are my life, I would do anything for them.  There is no other thing on this earth that is more important than my family.  My Christmas decorations have been put away carefully and I will treasure the memories that each ornament brings.  I don't have a tree that is done with a specific theme--my theme I guess could be called---A walk to remember--or--Travel through the past--or--something along those lines.  So until next year---I say goodbye to the year 2011 and greatly welcome 2012.  It will be another year with interesting thi

No comments: